I guess since it's Ash Wednesday, I'm feeling a little confessional. Either that, or too much Facebook.
1. I'm not watching Top Chef this season, even though I relish it and have developed a crush on Colicchio. (Bald men are my thing. Food is my thing. You do the math.) I guess I just needed a break from all the lust... not to mention Padma and Gail who are shifty, uncharming creatures.
2. I can't eat anything called a pastie. Forget it.
3. The worst thing I ever put in my mouth was a gritty Polish duck soup at my friend's mother's house on Easter. She invited me to break bread with her family on the high holiest of Catholic holidays, and all I can remember thinking is that that soup is what the waiters serve in hell.
4. I have consumed orange Swedish caviar from a tube and enjoyed it.
5. Usually when I see a beautiful gourmet cupcake, I wish I could just lick off all the frosting and be done with it.
6. I'm a terrible baker because I modify every recipe I get my hands on, and I'm impatient as hell.
7. The only reason I went out with my husband on our first date was because he invited me to Le Colonial. He sensed this immediately and will tell you the story in great detail.
8. I love anything invented or perfected by monks: cappuccino, Chimay, Champagne, brandy. I once ran smack into a woolly Trappist monk entering the Panera Bread on Diversey and took it as a definite sign that God was winking at me for this.
9. My mom drank a glass of wine a week when she was pregnant with me. Explains a lot.
10. I once spent a week in my 20s eating nothing but dessert and drinking wine and cocktails. It was seriously fantastic.
This is only fun if you share some now.