Monday, January 26, 2009

Dirt Cheap Cookware: Not an Urban Myth

My mother is a born domestic goddess, and I'm accepting that she's always right about anything around the house. She has a serious addiction to serving pieces (at last count, there are 20+ sets of dishes in her giagantimo kitchen), some of which she told me she just found at Marshall's.

To which I replied: ugh. Discount department stores are so much bloody work. Urban life is stressful enough. I need to conserve my shopping resources for things like shoes. And handbags.

Saturday, though, I popped up to their store on Belmont after woefully striking out downstairs in the DSW (no riding boots for me). It was in true form: squeeky escalator, screaming kids, shelves crammed with crap. But then there it was, next to a collection of Le Creuset, a $16 Wolfgang Puck Bistro Elite 2-quart saucepan. Score. I've used it twice and ran it through the dishwasher. So far, it's a thing of bargain beauty.

1 comment:

  1. I love Marshall's, despite the digging required. Previous finds include a BYO lunch bag for $5 (retail at Sur la Table $26), olivewood serving spoon *and* cheese board for a total of $20 (don't even ask the price at Williams Sonoma!), 6 qt Cuisinart stockpot $15.

    ReplyDelete