Sunday, January 25, 2009

Best Vegan Pizza Ever at Vella

There's a great little cafe named Vella just up the street from us on Western Ave., and I couldn't be happier that they've started serving a dinner menu of gourmet pizzas three nights a week. (You can see my review of them on UrbanSpoon.)

Their vegan Everything but Meat pizza is so fantastic, my husband brought home two of them yesterday and I spent time trying to figure out its magic. Here's what I think is on it:
  • Caramelized onion - this makes up the richness of the flavor base, since there's no pasta sauce, cheese or meat on it. The onions are thick and gooey, smeared on the light crust.
  • Roasted garlic - mixed into the onion base.
  • Olive tapenade with basil - this is the most mysterious mix. It's heavy on the basil and light on the olives, and it's finely chopped and dotted all around the pizza.
  • Cremini mushrooms - these are sliced really thin so that the edges get a little crispy under the heat of the oven.
  • Roasted plum tomatoes - not sure where they're getting these, or if they make them ahead, but WOW are they packed with flavor and delicious.
  • Spinach
  • Basil leaves

So now I can start experimenting in the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. How much roasted garlic do you think they put on this pizza?

    Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I can't be sure until I start experimenting, but I don't think it's more than 1 clove because the flavor of it is pretty subtle. The onions and tomatoes do most of the talking on it.

    ReplyDelete