Monday, April 6, 2009

Recipe: Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Lately when I get home, I can barely string together a sentence, much less practice my knife skills on a rutabaga. It's in these moments, as the only cook in the house, that I take a deep breath, open the fridge and let a calm acceptance take over as I channel my inner Nigella. Usually the food gods answer with some sort of inspiration or another that'll require minimal effort on my part. Friday night it was this comforting soup that managed to remind me that even though it was bitterly cold and ugly outside by April's standards, spring is in fact lurking quietly and stubbornly in our midst. It's partially inspired by Nigella's corn chowder, and partially by my favorite salmon chowder recipe. And the best part is that it was literally ready in 10 minutes flat.


Shrimp and Corn Chowder

14-oz can light evaporated milk
14-oz can sweet corn
1 cup veggie broth
small handful parsley
2 scallions
8-10 large shrimp, shelled
dash cayenne pepper
dash ground chipotle
garlic powder, salt, pepper

In a large sauce pan, warm the evaporated milk over medium heat and add the broth. In a food processor, add the corn, scallions, and parsley and blitz together into...well, a slurry, really. Scrape the corn mixture into the broth and stir well as it heats through. Add the cayenne, garlic powder, chipotle, salt and pepper to taste. Once it gets hot, add the shrimp and let them cook through until opaque.

Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment