- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed, picked over
- 8 ounces red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lemon
- 6 ounces torn fresh spinach leaves (about 8 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Crumbled feta cheese
Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add vegetable broth and lentils; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add potatoes; cook uncovered until potatoes and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel from lemon; squeeze enough juice from lemon to measure 2 tablespoons. Add lemon peel, lemon juice, spinach and cayenne to stew. Cover and simmer stew until spinach wilts and is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Mix in mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat before serving.)
Spoon stew into large soup bowls. Sprinkle feta cheese over, if desired.